Effective Date: April 2022
Collection of Information
The type and amount of information we receive about you depends entirely on how you use our Website. For instance, you may read and download information provided on the Website without providing any Personal Information at all.
The Personal Information we collect directly, on a voluntary basis, from you may include, but is not limited to: name, location, e-mail address, company affiliation, telephone number, credit card and payment information, etc.. We use this Personal Information to manage our relationship with you (notably to respond to inquiries and requests for further information).
The legal basis for such processing is your consent. You are informed that you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time (without calling into question the processing previously carried out), by writing to email@example.com.
Alternatively, the following links provide instructions in order to manage your cookies preferences:
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/safari/sfri11471/mac
- Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/delete-cookies-in-microsoft-edge-63947406-40ac-c3b8-57b9-2a946a29ae09
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Enabling+and+disabling+cookies
Finally, you may visit www.aboutcookies.org, a website providing comprehensive information about how to manage your cookies settings on a broad variety of browsers.
Use of Personal Information
African Parks uses the collected data for various purposes:
- To register you for our newsletter and email updates, if you chose to do so;
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues;
- To provide and maintain the Website;
- To notify you about changes to the Website;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of the Website when you choose to do so;
- To provide customer care and support;
- With your permission, to send you the newsletter (if you don’t want to receive these, you may unsubscribe within any e-communication you receive);
- To provide analysis or valuable information so that we can improve the Website;
- To process your donation, if you chose to donate;
- To enhance the accuracy of the information we hold about you;
- To enforce our Terms and Conditions;
- To investigate and defend against any third-party claims or allegations;
- To pursue legitimate interests, such as research and development, processing for historical scientific or statistical purposes, and performing activities carried out in the public interest (we may use data, including public feedback, to conduct research and for the development of the Website and the services and products we provide to you);
- For other everyday business purposes such as contract management, IT and website administration and security, analytics, fraud prevention, governance, and reporting and legal compliance;
- To monitor the usage of the Website; and
- To meet legal requirements and enforcing legal terms, including:
- Fulfilling our legal obligations under applicable law, regulation, court order, or other legal process, such as preventing, detecting, and investigating security incidents and potentially illegal or prohibited activities;
- Protecting your, our, and others’ rights, property and safety;
- Confirming your identity;
- Enforcing any agreements with you; and
- Resolving disputes.
Share and transfer of personal information
We will not sell the Personal Information you provide us to a third party at any time.
The processed Personal Information is transmitted to Stripe, Hubspot and Salesforce.
African Park transfers Personal Information to service providers located outside the European Economic Area for the following services:
- Collecting donations;
- Communicating with supporters;
- Making improvements to and optimizing the Website, including through analytics and other technologies (including, but not limited to, data storage, maintenance services, database management, web analytics, and payment processing);
- With your consent or as you direct;
- To process payments;
- To engage in marketing and promotional activities;
- To protect our interests and legal rights, such as through responding to subpoenas and defending litigation; and
- To protect against and prevent fraud, illegal activity (such as identifying and responding to incidents of hacking or misuse of the Website), and claims and other liabilities.
Those transfers are carried out in accordance with Standard Contractual Clauses adopted by the European Commission.
These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose. African Parks takes reasonable precautions to keep all information obtained from our online visitors secure against unauthorized access.
As time passes, African Parks may be sold along with its assets, or other transactions may occur in which Personal Information is one of the assets transferred. In such a case, the Personal Information which we have gathered may be one of the assets we transfer.
Retention of your personal information
African Parks will keep your Personal Information for three (3) years after your last correspondence with us.
On the expiry of the applicable data retention period, African Parks undertakes to erase or irrevocably anonymize the relevant Personal Information.
Children and Privacy
African Parks does not knowingly collect Personal Information from or about children age 16 years and under.
The Website contains links to other Internet websites, and African Parks is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of any linked sites.
The security of your data is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. We seek to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure using appropriate physical, technical, organizational, and administrative security measures based on the type of Personal Information and how we are processing that information. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
To the maximum extent allowed by applicable law, you agree and acknowledge that African Parks will not be liable or responsible if any information about you is intercepted, accessed, and/or used by an unintended recipient. If you have reason to believe that the security of your communications or Personal Information has been compromised, please notify us immediately using the contact information below.
Changes to Policy
Notice to EU Users
Please note that the GDPR provides for certain rights. In particular, you have the right to:
- Access to personal information processed concerning you;
- Rectification of inaccurate personal information concerning you and a right to erasure;
- Restriction of processing;
- Data portability;
- Object to the processing on grounds relating to your particular situation; and
- Lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
To exercise any of your rights, please contact us by email to the address firstname.lastname@example.org. African Parks will respond to your request in a reasonable time frame, and in any event within one month from receipt thereof.
California Shine The Light
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as “Shine The Light” law, permits California residents to annually request information regarding the disclosure of your Personal Information (if any) to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. We do not share your Personal Information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
Do Not Track
“Do Not Track” is a privacy preference that you can set in your Internet search browser that sends a signal to a website that you do not want the website operator to track certain browsing information about you. However, because the Website is not configured to detect Do Not Track signals from a user’s computer, we are do not respond to Do Not Track requests. More information about “do not track” is available at www.allaboutdnt.org concerning such information.
We do not track users over time and across third-party websites. Third parties, other than our service providers (such as our analytics provider), do not have our permission to track which websites you visited prior to and after visiting the Website.
To unsubscribe from any African Parks electronic newsletter, please send an email request to email@example.com and type the word “unsubscribe” in the subject line.